Please ensure that access is not restricted due to COVID by contacting the partner library ahead of your visit.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which libraries issue SmartLibrary cards?
The following libraries issue SmartLibrary cards:
- Algonquin College
- Bibliothèque municipale de Gatineau
- Canadian Museum of History
- Carleton University
- La Cité
- Dominican College
- Ottawa Public Library
- University of Ottawa
- Université du Quebec en Outaouais (UQO)
2. How can I get a SmartLibrary card?
If you are a member of one of the lending libraries listed above, you can visit the library and ask for a free SmartLibrary card. To obtain a SmartLibrary card, you must be at least 16 years of age.
3. My SmartLibrary card expired. How do I renew it?
You can renew your expired card at the library where it was issued.
4. Can I lend/share my SmartLibrary card with others?
No. The card was issued under your name and only you are entitled to use it.
5. Where do I return my books?
All borrowed materials must be returned directly to the library where it was borrowed.
6. What happens if I am late in returning my books?
Card members are responsible for all the materials they borrow and any fines or charges that result from its use. Late fees will vary in accordance with the library.
7. Can other libraries join the SmartLibrary group?
SmartLibrary welcomes interest from other libraries in the National Capital Region. For more information, please contact us.